Thursday 5 October 2017

Healing - Everything Does Heal

image

Science has proven that our physical body can heal itself.  When the physical body does not heal, some doctors believe it is because the organ or area damaged has a memory of trauma that stops it from regenerating.  To help our body heal, we need to undo the trauma that it is storing in its memory cells. 

Sometimes, the trauma is caused by the painful memories.  Have a look at the following information from www.GoodTherapy.org, which is an excerpt of information from Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence, by neuropsychologist Rick Hanson. (link to the whole article https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/four-steps-to-erasing-trauma-of-painful-memories-061214)

How to HEAL

Based on the latest in neuroscience finds Rick Hanson offers a simple, yet effective, method for rewiring the brain from the negative emotions associated with trauma to the positive emotions associated with health and wellness. In his book, he describes a four step process using the acronym HEAL.

  1. Have a positive experience.

Step 1 activates a positive mental state, and steps 2, 3, and 4 install it in your brain. In step 1 we notice a positive experience that’s already present in the foreground or background of your awareness. In the example I offered at the beginning, I tuned into an experience where I felt safe and supported, and brought to mind experiences of safety and security.

  1. Enrich it.

Too often we spend minutes, and sometimes hours and days, ruminating over a negative experience, but we gloss over the positive. Here we take time to deepen the positive experience. I would open myself to the feelings of support I have in my life. I would picture and my wife and friends and the many supports I have, filling my inner conscious with at least 10 to 20 seconds of positive memory.

  1. Absorb it.

Here we imagine ourselves drinking in the experience. I imagine all my cells being infused with the experience. I feel it sinking into me and becoming part of my brain and all the parts of my being.

  1. Link positive and negative material.

Hanson describes this as an optional step. We don’t want to become overwhelmed by the negative, but to hold the negative in consciousness while it is infused with the positive. Hanson uses the image of a garden. We imagine the beauty of beautiful flowers we are planting. We become aware of the weeds and gently pull them out so there’s room for growth. He concludes by saying, “Whenever you want, let go of all negative material and rest only in the positive. Then, to continue uprooting the negative material, a few times over the next hour be aware of only neutral or positive things that may have been associated with the negative.

Remember, this information is not meant to replace or refute any advice from a physician or medical expert.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy