Wednesday 17 February 2016

Spirit Animals - Dogs and Kennel Cough

 

image

After all the money that I spent on vaccinating my dogs, including the vaccine for kennel cough, my two dogs both got a strain of kennel cough not covered by the vaccine.  Doesn't it sound like humans getting the flu even if they had the flu vaccination?

The pet hospital did not want to give them any antibiotics unless they got really sick.  I am on board with that.  So, I brought them home and searched for natural remedies.  The most helpful posting for me was at http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/dog-health-kennel-cough-five-home-remedies.  I used the formula for yogurt, honey, and cinnamon that someone posted in the comments, and, I made them chicken soup.  Within three days, the boys have almost stopped coughing, and the sickest has stopped wheezing.  They have their energy back and want to play.  While they are not completely clear, I think that they will be fine. 

It seems that the message is clear – natural remedies, if we have the patience to seek them out and to use them – are the best solution for dogs and humans alike. 

For those that are wondering, I used:

  • 3 tablespoons of Oikos 2% greek yogurt, vanilla flavour
  • 1/2 teaspoon of natural honey
  • shake of cinammon

I gave them this three times the first day, and the past two days, twice per day with their food.  Both dogs are 75 and 82 pounds respectively.

Let me know if you try this and how it works for you.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy