Thursday 24 March 2011

Buddha Speaks - The Story of the Meditating Monk

image

One of the hardest things that I have found is the process of letting go of fear.  From the time that we are very young, we are conditioned to the idea of fear, and that we must fear anything that is different or unknown.  Perhaps, because of that conditioning, I have gone out of my way to meet, head on, what it is I fear.  I often wondered if I just had a streak of recklessness in me –which was the consensus of my parents – or whether I was legitimately moving forward on my journey. 

This train of thought has been a source of many meditations and contemplations for me.  I wonder if I am able to overcome all fear.  Then I remembered the teaching about the spider.  

I went through my notes, and found that I actually wrote about this  last year – April 13th.  Here is the story.

A Tibetan story tells of a meditation student who, while meditating in his room, believed he saw a spider descending in front of him. Each day the menacing creature returned, growing larger and larger each time. So frightened was the student, that he went to his teacher to report his dilemma. He said he planned to place a knife in his lap during meditation, so when the spider appeared he would kill it. The teacher advised him against this plan. Instead, he suggested, bring a piece of chalk to meditation, and when the spider appeared, mark an "X" on its belly. Then report back.

The student returned to his meditation. When the spider again appeared, he resisted the urge to attack it, and instead did just what the master suggested. When he later reported back to the master, the teacher told him to lift up his shirt and look at his own belly. There was the "X".

Because this is coming up for me again, in the spring, almost a year later, I feel that I need to do some karma clearing around belief systems connected to fear. 

I am off to do that now.   Have a wonderful evening!

Judy@angelsandancestors.com  See our new page Tools for Healing http://www.angelsandancestors.com/tools.php   The March 2011 Magazine is now up at www.angelsandancestors.com as well as an updated  listing of events.  

See our websites:   www.angelsandancestors.comwww.datacloudconsulting.comwww.webdesign11.comlegionsofmichael.blogspot.comwww.joytography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy