Sunday 7 February 2010

Spirit Animal – Meerkat’s Message

This picture of Meerkat is from www.eicsd.k12.ny.us

image

 

 

I sat in my space and waited.  Meerkat said that it would come.  As I watched it approach, I thought how much it looked like a furry little human.  Perhaps we did look like that at one time.  I also realized that in Rupert Sheldrake’s remarkable book, “The Seven Daughters of Eve”, research showed that humans originated on the continent of Africa.  And now, here are the Meerkats, little fur balls that they are, also in Africa, in the Kalahari Desert.  My body started to tingle.

As she came closer, I became more curious about the nature of her message.  I could see behind her, several small heads in a distance and I realized that there were others, watching her come to share their ideas with me. 

My mind stopped again at the phrase “ideas”.  Exactly what was going on here?  As she walked forward on her hind legs, I realized that she only has four toes on each paw, and yet each paw looks remarkably like our hands.  She moved nearer, and it seemed that she had a grin on her face.  I wish that I had brought some food because the Meerkat lives in a hostile environment – at least it seemed hostile to me.  I had looked up what Meerkats eat.  Wikipedia says:

Meerkats are primarily insectivores, but also eat lizards, snakes, scorpions, spiders, plants, eggs, small mammals, millipedes, centipedes and, more rarely, small birds. They are partially immune to certain venoms; they are immune to the very strong venom of the scorpions of the Kalahari Desert, unlike humans. They have no excess body fat stores, so foraging for food is a daily need.

Their food also seemed pretty hostile.  It seemed incredible to me that they would be immune to most venoms. 

My little friend was now about six feet away.  I held her gaze, and suddenly popped out of my meditation.  I could not get back in it!  It seems I am not to talk to Meerkat today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy