Sunday 5 April 2009

Buddha Speaks – Grasping At Things

IMGP0375

Picture of an old abbey taken by Judith Hirst-Joyeux in June 2007

 

I have friends that are kind enough to invite me to what ever lecture or workshop that they are attending.  Usually, upon the invitation, I test to see whether I will benefit from attending.  Most of the time, the answer is “No”.  This is disheartening at times.  I feel like perhaps I am missing out on something. 

Then, the other day, I came across this great story while doing my studies in Buddhism.  I immediately felt better! This story is called “Grasping”. 

                 Grasping

Coming across a monk praying while walking around a holy building, Geshe Tenpa said, "How pleasant to walk around sacred places, but you know, it's far better to practice the wonderful Dharma." The monk took his words to heart and began earnestly studying the scriptures. One day Geshe Tenpa came across him and commented, "How commendable it is to study the scriptures, but you know, it is far better to practice the wonderful Dharma." The monk took his words to heart and took up intensive meditation. One day Geshe Tenpa came across him and said, "How blissful to be lost in one-pointed meditation, but you know, it's far better to practice the wonderful Dharma." The monk was completely confounded. In desperation he begged, "Master, teach me what to do." Geshe Tenpa smiled and replied, "Just stop grasping at things."

Judy@angelsandancestors.com    See our newsletter at www.angelsandancestors.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy