Wednesday 25 February 2009

Spirit Animal – Squirrel

image

  Black squirrel picture from Wikipedia..

After several inches of snow last night, I expected the yard to be very quiet.  Instead, I saw a miniature snow squall erupt from the mountain ash tree.  Three black squirrels were chasing one another through the tree, around the tree, and then back up the tree.  This lasted for about five minutes, and then all three of them shook off the snow, and climbed up on the bird feeder to forage out some sunflower seeds.

Squirrel and her companions sat on the bird feeder and munched, and glanced at the house, as though wondering whether I would put out more food.  Squirrel has never been shy about letting me know when more is needed.  I then realized that Squirrel’s lesson today is about trust!  Just as she trusts that there will be food in the yard, she tells me to trust that Great Spirit will provide for me.  Just as Squirrel feels comfortable and safe in my yard, Squirrel tells me to feel safe and comfortable in Great Spirit’s yard – Mother Earth.  The message that was coming through, loud and clear, was that I was not trusting enough, and in being somewhat reluctant to trust, I was limiting myself to all the treats that might be handed to me or left out for me.

As soon as I muddled through all of those thoughts, Squirrel chattered happily to the other two squirrels and they bounded down the pole, across the yard, and up the fence to disappear to a neighbouring yard.   I realized that I had received a very great gift.  I am grateful!

Judy@angelsandancestors.com    I would love to hear your squirrel story!

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to this post! I, too, have been in a mode of not trusting what I call the Divine Universe (which sounds similar to what you call the Great Spirit -- it is so hard coming up with a suitable name for such a powerful omnipresence, isn't it?!?). I recently got to a point where I gave up and said, "that's it, Divine Universe. I can't keep trying to control this any more. I leave it all in your hands." And as soon as I said that, good things started to happen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy