Wednesday 8 October 2008

Spirit Animal - Hummingbird

image

Hummingbird known as Green Violet-ear as shown in Wikipedia

Hummingbirds are one of the most fascinating little creatures because they can fly backwards and forwards and they are able to hover, like a helicopter for periods of time. 

In the Munay-Ki Rites, the hummingbird is the archetype of the third chakra in the Harmony Rites.  Hummingbird also represents the "winds of the north" in the Inca Shamanic tradition.  One of the reasons is that the Hummingbird makes a journey north each year to North America, and then returns from the North, in the fall to the warm, flowery climates of Central and South America. 

Hummingbird is about understanding the sweetness of life, about being able to go long distances on little food, and using great courage.  Hummingbird also represents the pioneer spirit of finding new lands and moving between worlds.  When working with Hummingbird, we may ask it to bring in our Ancestors or the Old Ones who may come from their spirit place and share knowledge with us.

Hummingbirds bring the message that stamina and perseverance is important in one's life.  One must build themselves up to be strong so that their life force is not depleted by those drawing on them for energy.  Another message that hummingbird brings to those that it appears to, is that the human must watch his or her digestive system, and that they must not take in too much sugar.

May you all find sweetness in your life as hummingbird does!

Judith        Do you have a good hummingbird story?  Will you share it?  Please send it to me at judy@angelsandancestors.com.

4 comments:

  1. Great informaiton you share in this post! Hummingbirds are also fierce warriors, which seems strange for such a small bird. Learn more about the hummingbird totem, their message and meaning at hummingbirdshaman.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, please tell me what you think about my frequent hummingbird visitor. One morning I was leaving my apartment building, I heard a loud buzzing noise & shaw something move real fast across my path. I thought it was a bee so I batted away. To my surprise, it was humming bird flying, yet still right in front of me, looking at me. The hummingbird began to fly off but for only a few feet and then backed up or flew back and just hovered in front of me again. A week later, at the park with my kids I saw another hummingbird hovering up high in a tree. Another week or two went by, again outside my apartment I experienced another hummingbird with bright red feathers on it's back. Just yesterday, another hummingbird has blessed me with its presence. This bird was brown and green. What could possible be the message from all of these birds since they were all difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi and thanks for sending in the fascinating information on hummingbird.

    The knowing that I have around this is that Hummingbird is your spirit animal guide and is trying to get a message to you. Please understand that the messages will resonate with you if they fit, and they will not resonate if this is not your experience.

    The different birds are used because it seems that you have not been paying attention to the messages in the actions and the environment that the bird is in.

    The messages are:

    1. Life is sweet! Now is the time to enjoy the differences in all things that you do, and to let go of the judgement around the "how" or the "why" they are different.

    2. Hummingbird has great courage and is not afraid to make changes or to travel great distances even when it is not sure exactly where it is going, or what will be waiting. Hummingbird tells you to make the changes that you have been procrastinating on doing because you are afraid to change. Each change is like a flower that goes from bitter to sweet as it blossoms.

    3. Hummingbird would like you to spend more time outside. The trees and flowers are healing. Whatever is going on with you, you do need healing. Let the birds and the flowers and the trees help.

    4. Life is full of differences. It is the differences that make us unique and give us our special gifts. Hummingbird says that it is time to allow yourself the freedom to be yourself, unique and beautiful, able to stand free and above the constant criticism that others may make of you. It is your journey, not their journey. They have no say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom recently passed away and the day after she passed away Im opened my patio, and my cats scurried out as usual, it happened soo fast, my cats didnt even notice. A hummingbird buzzed right up to me and then no sooner was gone. My mom has many hummingbirds, she loves them as do I. My mom and I are extremely spiritual although I have never researched the meaning of hummingbird. This soo matches what my mom would want for me. This morning I awoke at 4:44. I just googled that time and have goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy