Tuesday 20 November 2007

Fear of the Supernatural

"The supernatural is the natural not yet understood." Elbert Hubbard

When I saw this quotation, I was struck by how accurate it is, and that even though he is deceased ( he died during 1915), how applicable the quotation is today.  A friend of mine was in the checkout at the supermarket, and had at the top of her buggy the book, "Spirituality For Dummies". 

As my friend was unloading her shopping cart, the lady in front of her said, "You shouldn't be reading that! Anything that you can't see comes from the Devil!"

As you can imagine, my friend was quite taken aback, and was absolutely speechless!  Imagine, if all the things that you cannot see come from the Devil, then there is a long list of things that we all take for granted that we can't "see" but that we know are there.  Some of those things are God, Love, Wind, Kindness, oxygen, carbon dioxide, the sound of a symphony, anything one hears over the radio because let's face it, you can't see all those things that come through the radio. The list could go on and on.

I wondered what it would be like to live in fear of all the things that you can not see.  I could not imagine a life like that!  The beauty in the unseen compliments the visual beauty of what we see with our eyes.  And, even then, do we really see it?  We see so little of the world as it is because our perception is always being adjusted by our mind, to something that we have seen in our past.  So, do we really see what we see or do we bring forward what we saw before?  It really is a strange thing, that five people may look at the same accident, and that they all saw something similar but different. 

As for not seeing the supernatural, well, I'd like to define "supernatural" first and use the Wikipedia definition - The supernatural (Latin: super- "above" + natura "nature") pertains to entities, events or powers regarded as beyond nature, in that they cannot be explained from the laws of the natural world.  Having said that, if we "see" the entities then they do exist!  Just because one person does not see them means that their mind cannot pull up a memory of seeing that object before.  The other part of the definition - explained from the laws of the natural world- simply means that we have not yet discovered or acknowledged the laws that do govern the entities.  Scientists, researchers, astronomers, and physicists have been discovering new principles of being and planets over the last decade.  Does that mean that up to the discovery, the principles and planets were supernatural?  It does depend on one's point of view.

I would love for everyone to see all that is around them, and not fear it!  I would love to have people be able to experience something new and move to the experience with love in their hearts instead of fear.  I would love if all the people in the world would just let other people be!

1 comment:

  1. I just moved from Florida to Hancock,MD due to a relationship breakup parting as friends. However, my heart is broken. I did want to leave but I had nowhere to go in Fla. No family,etc. I've been seeing deer like 2x in a day 4-10 at a time then a fawn by itself who looked when a pic was taken. I've never seen deer in real life. It's amazing! Just wondering what the messages are for me? My ex b.f. & friends all say there's a reason why I'm in Hancock,MD. I'm not happy here, but am kinda stuck. No job, no money & my truck transmission went out. Just blessed with my friends hm to have food & shelter. My friend offered me to live here in my dilemma & pd for the whole trip here. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Hurting Heart & Hm Sick

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this blog post. Sharing is good if it is kind and either has questions or tells about an experience.

Blessings,
Judy